[wplug] Reasonable message size limit?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Apr 24 15:43:23 EDT 2008

Bill Moran wrote:

>> Just wondering what is considered "reasonable" these days for message size
>> limit? I saw a recommendation for 100-300 MB, and I thought that was very
>> high.
>
> I agree.  I would figure 10 - 20M unless the client is paying special
> for large attachment support.

In most cases, you'll have to go with the default for most online mail
services.

Gmail - 20MB
Yahoo - 10MB
Hotmail - 10MB

That being said, there still are many places with silly email policies that
wonder why no one uses their service.  My undergrad, for example, still has
a quota of 11MB for everything in your mailbox -- all your messages!
That's the same quota they've had since 1992.

--Patrick