[wplug] Reasonable message size limit?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:53:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Janos Dohanics <web at 3dresearch.com> wrote:

> Just wondering what is considered "reasonable" these days for message size
> limit? I saw a recommendation for 100-300 MB, and I thought that was very
> high.

It seems high, but it might be the price people pay for all the security
that's set up.  I know my organization can't run an FTP server because of
the larger organizations firewall / vpn policy.  And it can be problematic
to get a web server to handle really big uploads.  That leaves scp / sftp
for the really big uploads.

Given that 95% of the desktops out there have no native support for scp or
sftp, I can understand why people send really big files through the email.
Its not what I encourage, but when critical stuff has to get through, people
make do with what they can.