[wplug] Re: flv and video editing in linux?

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Thu Apr 24 12:53:51 EDT 2008

Hi Zach --

I just joined this list yesterday, so you're in luck!

I'm one of the devs on the Blender project, and it just so happens that
our latest release candidate allows you to import FLV files (via
FFMPEG). If you're just doing an import/conversion export, all you will
need to do is load up the .flv in the Sequence Editor, then set up an
animation matching the frame range, choose the appropriate export format
(avi, mpeg, I think we do Quicktime too, but not on Linux) and go.

If you want to apply effects, the best way to do so would be to load the
.flv then "render" it into a sequence of image files, like .png's or
something. Then, bring those back in and do your post-pro/effects work
on them. That'll be much easier than trying to slice n' dice individual
frames from the raw .flv. Afterward, export to your format of choice.

You'll be using Blender's Sequence Editor, which is made for video
editing and post-pro.

So, a link to the latest release candidates of Blender:
http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.46rc/

You'll want the file labeled "blender-2.46-test2", and then choose from
static/dynamic, 32/64 bit, and python 2.4/2.5 depending on your distro
and setup.

For how to use Blender and the Sequencer... um...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Video_Sequence_Editing

That wiki is from version 2.43, but the fundamentals will hold true.

Good luck!

Roland Hess