[wplug] The End of the Telcos?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Apr 15 13:58:47 EDT 2008

> Amen! Government is essentially the organized use of

> Government-run wifi and internet access will tend to
> drive out private-sector offerings. We should resist
> the temptation to mulct taxpayers for "free" internet
> access.

 	Private sector offerings? Here in Pittsburgh? Like what for
example? There's nuth'n.

 	When I mentioned our local government, I was suggesting that the
City of Pittsburgh could cut their telecommunications costs extremely, by
implementing their own telecommunications infrastructure and not paying
Verizon gobs of taxpayer dollars. They're making calls to the next
building, some database traffic, and some generic Internet access. I was
not suggesting that the City of Pittsburgh start being an ISP for the
populace.

 	However, I wondered this yesterday: If governments are able to
FAIRLY compete with the private sector, would they do a better job? If
they are able to do a better job, shouldn't they be allowed to try?

 	I'd like more choices than Verizon and Comcast only, and I almost
don't care who comes down the pike.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net