[wplug] The End of the Telcos?

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 11:41:01 EDT 2008

Profit is not a dirty word. It's a signal which
indicates that one is providing a service which people
actually are willing to pay for, at a cost which is
less than the value provided. Absent coercive
monopolies or funding ( government dictates which
require customers to buy in, or to force customers to
pay for what they do not want ), profit is a most
valuable method to drive investment to where it is
best needed.

Even so-called "non profits" actually have to bring in
more dollars than they spend, otherwise they run out
of money and can spend no more.

--- "David J. Pryke" <david-wplug at pryke.us> wrote:

> Michael Semcheski wrote:
> >
> > I guess its basically big government vs. small
> government.  But my point
> > is that I want them to focus on doing the things
> they need to do really
> > well before they start looking for new things to
> run.
>
> Agreed, and that is why I believe it needs to be a
> separate private
> (public?) enterprise with public interests at heart,
> and a transparent
> process and motive.  Not in business for profit, but
> to better the
> communications landscape.  "Non-profit" in idea, if
> not in fact (depends on
> limitations of "non-profit" status - as that status
> could be limiting to the
> business goals and process.)  Leave the government
> out of it, leave the
> incumbents out of it, use the money supplied by
> subscribers and donors to
> build it and run it.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> David J. Pryke

Terry McIntyre &lt;terrymcintyre at yahoo.com&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]