[wplug] The End of the Telcos?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Apr 15 11:17:32 EDT 2008

> I'm just curious what others' stance on it is, and for that, I appreciate
> your response.  I agree; many challenges, not many people/entities available
> that could actually provide the necessary finances to drive it, and then out
> of those, who is interested??  Lots of apathy from the general public...a
> tough job indeed.  It would take someone with total dedication to the project
> (no other life) and plenty of money just to start the marketing efforts to
> get others involved.

 	Hm, this is mostly why I have failed at this so far -- complete
lack of plenty of money. Something like this doesn't have to be expensive,
but Joe Sixpack doesn't really care. Is there critical mass here in
Pittsburgh to do something like that?

 	I think that if the City took over just their own
telecommunications, that it would save hundreds of thousands of taxpayer
dollars every year.

 	Some of us know how to solve some of these problems. The rest of
us know how to solve the others. Should we have another near-annual
meeting of interested folks to hash-out what could be done? Should we
hijack the WPLUG list for this?

 	(I'm all ready to put WiFi antennas in my tree, but there's nobody
to talk to...)

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net