[wplug] The End of the Telcos?

David J. Pryke david-wplug at pryke.us
Tue Apr 15 11:06:00 EDT 2008

Max Putas wrote:
> I read this article, and I think it totally ignores the current
> realities. Who owns the majority of the backbone for the Internet? You
> guessed it--the telephone companies. To get them out of the loop would
> require massive infrastructure buyout and network engineering. Sure, a
> Google might have the chance given enough resources to buy up a lot of
> fiber to create their own network, but you just can't automatically
> hook up computers to those fibers and expect the whole thing to work.
> Infrastructure and planning on a large scale is needed, especially
> when it comes to LANs may be easy, but planning large-scale wired and
> wireless networks  Ask any large WAN engineer. Real-life engineering
> realities hit Google hard when they tried to plan a wireless network
> using consumer access points, and they learned their lesson and went
> with much more robust solutions. There are also massive amounts of
> regulations on every level on where and how cabling can be laid/run
> overhead, and maybe even more importantly, there is the possibility
> that local telcos (or even cable companies) will attempt to block such
> work. It has certainly happened before in planned community projects.
>
> That said, I am hopeful for the future, and participate in many
> OpenSource VoIP and networking projects, but I like to keep everything
> in perspective =)

Yes, I know the limitations and at least some of the barriers -
rights-of-way issues, pulling/laying/suspending dark fiber, negotiating with
all the appropriate parties to be able to build where necessary and hold on
to the rights for the space needed to house the equipment, maintaining power
to equipment in all the hard-to-access areas that would be necessary to
drive the network, plus all the headaches of local incumbents fighting you
the whole way.

I know that.  I know that it isn't likely to happen.  I know others have
tried various methods in the past (and I note that I have read Drew's
response, which arrived after this one) - but, wouldn't it be nice?

I'm not a "young, clueless hippy" as so many are that boast of great ideas
and have no way to back them up.  I know this is such a tremendous challenge
that it probably can't happen without huge infusions of cash, and marketing
efforts to get people from many sectors involved, plus convincing enough
local government to be on "our side" to keep the incumbents out of the way
to allow it to happen...as I said, I don't expect it to really happen.

I'm just curious what others' stance on it is, and for that, I appreciate
your response.  I agree; many challenges, not many people/entities available
that could actually provide the necessary finances to drive it, and then out
of those, who is interested??  Lots of apathy from the general public...a
tough job indeed.  It would take someone with total dedication to the
project (no other life) and plenty of money just to start the marketing
efforts to get others involved.

That's why I won't take it on, plus the fact that I live in a neighborhood
that doesn't seem to be pushing the limits of Internet-type technology,
(though who knows what all of my neighbors are doing?,) so I wouldn't start
it "at home."

--
Thanks,

David J. Pryke