[wplug] Newbie needs install help after grub 17 error

Claudia Neely welshspeaker at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 08:12:11 EST 2008

I was all over Ubuntu forums trying to fix a grub error 17. I cfdisk'ed and fdisked all over the place.  I deleted partitions and tried to rewrite them as forums directed.  Nothing worked. I gave up.

  Now I am trying to reinstall.  I have edgy eft, feisty fawn and gutsy; none are installing.

  In edgy eft rescue mode I get this message over and over:

  Failed to create a swap space.  The creation of swap space in partition #5 of IDE1 master (hda) failed.

  I only have Ubuntu on the laptop, no dual boot, and I didn't manually partition the disk.  It is a toshiba tecra S1 laptop, and runs all three ubuntus off the live disks fine.

  Help?

  claudia