[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Fri Apr 4 02:27:12 EST 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Eric Cooper wrote:
> Elsewhere Verizon says they provide a wireless router for a home
> network.  Is this a different box or is it the same one that connects
> to the ONT?

The FIOS router is fairly impressive looking with four ethernet ports
and one rather stout wireless antennae.

I use Vonage VoIP.  When my daughter called me and complained about
the connection, I told her to hang up, then I went to the basement and
moved the Vonage router from the old DSL to the new FIOS and called
her back.  Huge improvement in our phone service.

In addition to the router, Verizon mounted a pretty large box on the
basement wall (I guess that is the ONT).  It has a backup battery for
the Verizon phone service that I do not use.  I am not sure what they
charge for the phone line, but with Vonage costing $15/month, I am not
all that optimistic that moving back to Verizon would be a good idea.

There is a coaxial cable between the box on the well and the router.
It is triple shielded - they ran the coax though the same hole in the
steel beam as a power line and we have no interference.

Did you check the article on Wikipedia? It has a photo of the router.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

Greg