[wplug] Verizon FIOS experience with Linux?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 3 18:43:27 EST 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:27:28 -0400
Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:

> FIOS is now available in my neighborhood, and I'm wondering if anyone
> here has it and can answer more questions than Verizon's web site does.
>
> Verizon says they provide a broadband router to connect to the optical
> network terminal.  Can anyone tell me what they're using?  Does it
> provide DHCP and NAT, or do you talk to it with PPPOE, or what?
>
> Was it possible to get connected without having a Windows PC or Mac to
> make the technician happy?
>
> Elsewhere Verizon says they provide a wireless router for a home
> network.  Is this a different box or is it the same one that connects
> to the ONT?
>
> I'm also curious about any general experience with the service, and
> which service level you've used.  (They're currently offering 5M
> down/2M up, 15/2, 15/15, and 30/15.)

I'll never EVER get any Internet offered by Verizon again.

I've heard good things about FIOS, but dealing with their company
over the DSL stuff a few months ago was just not worth it.

--
Tom Rhodes