[wplug] firefox and resources

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:45:50 EST 2008

Starting firefox and opening gmail (no other tabs open) is eating up
27.7% of 256MB physical memory
and the VSZ is 189796 - does that represent bits? It is Firefox 1.5.0.3
Does this look normal? I also noticed Firefox will often spike to 90%
or even 99% CPU consumption! Is this also normal? If so it seems bad
design in the OS or application. Is there a reliable way I can limit
the CPU without hurting application peformance too much?

USER       PID     %CPU    %MEM    VSZ         RSS     TTY      STAT
START   TIME COMMAND
ubuntu    5650   23.2       27.7       189796    71000  pts/4   Sl
 17:17    1:37 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox

Zach