[wplug] wild processes

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 02:58:37 EDT 2007

A few minutes ago my CPU utilization jumped to 100% and ps showed 2
processes that were very short lived. I had a hard time killing them
since by the time I did ps, found the process number and tried to kill
it there were the same 2 processes but with new process numbers etc..
How do you kill such processes fast?

Anyways here are the processes:

root     18337  0.0  0.4   3820  1196 pts/0    S    02:51   0:00
/bin/sh /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/debian/createicon.sh xlock
root     18340  3.0  0.3   3072   776 pts/0    R    02:51   0:00 find
/usr/share/pixmaps /usr/share/icons -type f -iname xlock.xpm

BTW I am running FVWM but not xlock at the moment.

Last time I checked in my cron entries there was nothing to cause
this, but maybe a package update changed that. Darn annoying. Is there
anyway I canautomatically nice have such processes limited in terms of
how much CPU they consume? I know of nice but that is manual. Would
like a daemon or something that would run in the background and catch
errant processes as soon as it sees them chewing up my CPU.

Zach