[wplug] Re: NFS Availability Issues -- why I should just help off-list ...

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Sep 12 18:52:04 EDT 2007

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I will repeat ... Can I shoot myself now?!  ;)

Go right ahead.  Shooting yourself in the foot is a well-established
side-effect in the IT industry!

To be honest, I've been following this thread with interest, because I
run several high performance clusters, all of which share home and
scratch disks through NFS.

We actually have a couple cluster file systems we use too - PVFS2
(http://www.pvfs.org), IBM's GPFS
(http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/clusters/software/gpfs.html) and I've
been looking at Lustre (http://www.lustre.org) and when it finally
exists, pNFS.

Sadly, none of the open source cluster file systems we're using has very
good failover.  In fact, the most reliable remains to be the NFS
volumes.  Most of them are optimized for lots of storage, fast read or
writes, for cheap.

It seems that the best way to keep the NFS volume available is to focus
more on the underlying hardware than adapting the protocol.  For
example, using RAID, redundant power supplies, and effective monitoring.

Maybe I'm just missing something.