[wplug] NFS Availability Issues -- Linux HA for web (even NFS shared web data) v. traditional NFS home dirs

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 16:15:52 EDT 2007

Brandon Poyner <bpoyner at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/high_availability_nfs_drbd_heartbeat

Not to drive the point home, but I just read that full thing and a
few things just made me cringe.  Like symlinking /var/lib/nfs over to
/data.

Again, this stuff might work for web servers where a file is opened,
served up, then closed.  But it is hell for workstations where /home
is exported.  ;)

-- Bryan

P.S.  I'm not trying to purposely cross anyone's suggestions here.
In fact, 97% of the time, many Linux professionals strongly disagree
with me.  Just understand I just trying to point out a lot of
solutions that work for some are not always the same context under
discussion.  E.g., NFS for sharing web server data versus NFS for
home directories.

One thing you'll see me never do is criticize web server solutions.
As I mentioned at the meeting, I avoid those like the black plague
because so many people are doing it.  At the same time, local
engineering workstations hammering NFS servers on the same subnet is
what I've been doing for almost 2 decades, almost the last decade
with Linux.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com