[wplug] CD Duplication

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Sep 12 04:04:49 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 22:45 -0400, curlynoodle at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> As I sit here burning CDs for SoftwareFreedomDay (one-by-one), I fully
> appreciate the need for a CD replicator appliance.
> Curious, does anyone know of a package or otherwise method to build a
> multi-burner CD duplicator using commodity hardware.

Er, back in 2001, I had a four (4) drive CD-R.  It had three (3) 8x CD-R
SCSI-2 drives and one (1) 24x CD-R ATAPI drive.

More recently I've had a four (4) drive CD-R, all 48x ATAPI device.  I
used two (2) old Promise Ultra33 cards to give every drive it's own
channel, and I was able to push all of them at the full 48x.  I used a
tmpfs /tmp and put the .iso file there, so it was already in RAM.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com