[wplug] Anyone Wanna Try A New Email Client?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 18:12:44 EDT 2007

Rob Knapp <myddrin at myddrin.com> wrote:
> Oh, don't get me wrong I like SQLite... actually quite a bit.
> However as far as I can tell it does have some disadvantages.  For
> example, when I tried to connect to a 500M over an NFS mount on a
> wireless network.... that was not pretty.  By the time I stopped
> the process there were bits of broken photon all over my game room.
> :)

And mbox over NFS isn't any better either.  ;)
There's a reason I always setup even a simple IMAP (like WU-IMAP).

> As a result of your email, I went back into the code and was able
> to find an issue (a loop that was supposed to stop at 50 wasn't
> stopping) and tightened things up.  I can bring up the  list for
> 47K emails in under 2 seconds....  (then they get added to the ui
> element as needed....)

That's a crapload better than Evolution!

Furthermore, you're a commuter as am I, so I'm going to be keeping
most of it on my local system, and using IMAP for lesser-used, remote
store.

> That is going to take a very long time to import, even if you are
> pulling over a home network. :)   (SInce I am doing searching on a
> sql db, clearly I have to have all the data I'm going to query in
> the db....   Hey! does that qualify for the most obvious statement
> of the year?)

Oh, I know.  I just want to know if once it's imported, it works.  ;)

> Until I have the mbox importer written, I'd suggest that you might
> want to play around with an empty account, like from gmail or
> something...that is unless you are more patient then myself.

Oh, that was my intent.  I'm not adopting it, just playing with it.

And if it has a IMAP function, then I can always pull my mbox files
from that.  I.e., if you're using WU-IMAP, they are just mbox files
in a directory.  Used that for dealing with various, proprietary
e-mail client import/export.

> Heh.  Stupid profiler...made me look bad.  Yeah, as I mentioned the
> problem wasn't the speed fo the query.   Well kinda was in that I
> was pulling all the records into memory, rather than pulling them
> one at a time. But once I stopped doing that, I found that the
> bigger problem was the loop I mentioned.

Cool.  Quite amazing considering Python.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com