[wplug] Anyone Wanna Try A New Email Client?

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Tue Sep 11 07:29:51 EDT 2007

Hey everyone,

Over the summer, I got very frustrated with pretty much every email, irc & im client that I tried.  I telecommute, develop open source code, and live far from many of my friends and family. So I live and die by these protocols and my ability to classify these communications quickly.

So, I took some scripts that I wrote back in 2005 and grew them into an email /irc/im client decided to write my own.  You can download it at http://mrucc.bizling.com, or you can just look at the screen shots, etc.

As time went on, it became clear that while it is not perfect there might be other people who might want to use it.  So, I prettied it up just a little bit and am now releasing this non-prefect program to see if there is interest.

At any rate I'm trying to keep this initial roll out slow.  The code is GPL'd so I'm not going to trying get all NDA-ish but just ask nicely that you chose to limit who you share it with.

Basically, it has most of the standard email/irc/im/calendar features except that you can tell it to apply take certain actions based on the From header.  Currently you can add a tag, do a screen notification, respond with a stock email, or (if you have a clickatel account) send an SMS...  ( different rules apply depending on if you are online or offline. )   If you have the python binding to libots (Open Text Summarizer) installed, it will also auto tag your content with the keywords returned by ots.    [There are directions on setting
this up for Linux on the download page.]

All communication gets written to a database, so you can do search on all the content.  Also, if you go into the calendar component and open a time slot all emails/IM/irc's that you received in that time frame appear in addtion to iCal events.

Finally, it also can do internet searches.  It ships with google, wikipedia and yahoo plugins, but more (including sites that require a login) can be added with just a little XML (documented on the site).

Spam filtering is provided by spambayes on windows and bogofilter on mac/linux.
Spell check is provided by aspell if you have it installed and on your path.

So:  what do you need for it to run?
Python 2.5+
PyQt4.2+
[These are part of the windows installer...]

That's pretty much it... the installer contains all the other libraries you need.

On Windows: download Setup.exe and run it
On Linux: download MrUCC-0.1-py2.5.egg, unzip and run "sudo python setup.py install"  this will install mrucc where  ever your python bin is installed.
Mac:  The Mac app bundle is not quite ready yet, so I'm not uploading it.