[wplug] NFS Availability Issues -- more info on your network ...

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 20:06:50 EDT 2007

Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, the server was down, the clients were up,
> but the users had no /home directory.

Everything else and aside for the time being ...

1.  What are your NFS mount options?
2.  Are you using the automounter (yes, I know, doesn't make much
difference for /home)?
3.  How long does it take for your server to come up?
4.  Why can't user "just wait" for it to come back up (i.e., the
whole reason why NFS is better than SMB in that regard ;)?

Furthermore, I'm just a little confused on why you are talking about
failover when a UPS solves your problem for about, oh say, 1/20th to
1/50th the cost?  ;)

-- Bryan

P.S.  With so few clients, have you considered running local and
using rsync for home directories?  You can still have another
automounter map (e.g., "auto.local") for other, shared resources, but
keep /home local (e.g., no "auto.home").

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com