[wplug] NFS Availability Issues

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 19:09:27 EDT 2007

I have a server which has the NFS share /home on it, and about 5
clients that mount /home off of it.

Today, we had a power outage which took out the server, but only power
cycled the clients.  So, the server was down, the clients were up, but
the users had no /home directory.

Is there a good way to mitigate this -- assuming that the server will
be down once in a while when the clients are not?  It wouldn't be out
of the question to buy a second server to act as a hot spare at
another location, but it wouldn't be cheap or easy.  It would be an
easier sell if we were getting more than just a fail-over capability.

Any thoughts?