[wplug] video card power consumption -- Socket-M/Yonah option (NIC)

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 14:24:00 EDT 2007

"Bryan J. Smith" <thebs413 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here's another Intel option ...
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127009
> It's the older ICH7 "mobile" -- basically original Centrino.  They
> are largely well supported in Linux, although I can't vouch for the
> specific "ICH7-M DH".  But it will definitely have "less issues"
> than an ICH9.  ;)

And the NIC is an Intel 82573L, much better than the RealTek RTL811x:

http://developer.intel.com/design/network/products/ethernet/linecard_ec.htm

I think the SRAM is 32KB unified RX/TX.  That's tolerable for a
desktop GbE.  The dedicated PCIe x1 channel helps.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com