[wplug] video card power consumption (NIC)

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 14:04:36 EDT 2007

Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> It's looking more and more like I'll have to just get a new
> motherboard like one of these with integrated HDMI and video:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128063
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138061

Hmmm, they are both shipping RTL811x MACs?  Interesting.  Is there
something I don't know about some revision of the ICH9 and MCP61?
One where they leave off their MAC's with their large SRAM, unified
RX/TX buffers?

In any case, not ideal designs for GbE.  Make sure your switch (as
well as the NICs, they should) support 802.3x.  Although if the units
are transmitting (e.g., sending out video to the network) far more
than receiving, then they should be okay.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com