[wplug] muni wif non-starter

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Sep 4 16:03:42 EDT 2007

> Interesting article about the troubles with minucipal wifi:

> http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18848

> Evidently, there isn't enough demand to pay for the infrastructure
> costs. Who knew?

> I suspect that large-scale wifi networks won't work until WiMAX or 3G or
> 4G or some other large-scale technology is more fully developed. Who can
> afford to build and maintain a network of access points on every
> lamppost spanning hundreds of square miles?

 	Who can afford to build and maintain a network of hundreds or even
thousands of servers? A small team with the right tools.

 	I can't understand why these are being stalled. Look at what Jon
is doing in shadyside: http://www.shadysidewifi.com  -- all by himself.
He's doing SqHill, and I think one other area. How come he can do this,
but a well funded company *IN THAT BUSINESS* can't do the same thing?

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.pghwireless.net