[wplug] Best mid-life career advice

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Sep 3 11:14:47 EDT 2007

The ultimate irony is that our focus on academics was our ultimate undoing.
We have qualified technicians who can't get jobs, all while companies complain
there isn't enough "qualified" technicians, because theirs are wack.

Case-in-point from another field:  Land Surveying

Once they started requiring a BS, instead of an AS or 8 years
experience, to be a land surveyor, their numbers plummeted.
The result is that they are allow undegreed mappers to the
same license. So now we have even less qualified technicians doing the job,
and still even less in the field.

It is *DETRIMENTAL* to our future to require superficial credentials
for a job. And we're reaping the issue of people not understanding what
an "engineer" is and isn't, which started when we began downplaying
vocab type education and engineering technology as "suitable" careers.

Heck, I was so concerned in 2004 that I became a middle school teacher
for 4 months. I taught the kids business and physical science applications.
Not only did it get them more interested in math because
"word problems" were no longer "hard" but "fun," especially when I
tailored them to the kids, but they understood the concepts better for
the standardized tests.

I was *LAMBASTED* for breaking from the "academic" and "pure math."
No wonder nearly all 8th graders are "lost" when they come to the NSPE'
"MathCounts" competition - they don't even know what "units" are!
No wonder kids don't enjoy math!

Heck, there was nothing more gratifying that getting the "chatty,
popular girl" focused when I started putting things in terms of shopping.
Not only did she stop destracting others, but both the guys that
liked her, and the girls that wanted to be her, started following her lead.

Heck, even the "geek" started to like being around her.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile