[wplug] Best mid-life career advice

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Sep 3 00:29:20 EDT 2007

Combination of the continuing military-industrial complex,
combined with the acquired US wealth and investments in other countries,
combined with the lack of the Chinese liquidating their acquired US assets.

The Chinese are the major factor, especialy with our private
and public debts. Next is the fact that that the US does have a lot of
foreign assets, just like the British do as well, which keeps them afloat.

But make no mistake, our golden age is long past, and the US private
economy will not be able to sustain its 40+ year of gradually increased
social spending, and our economy will result in much like the British shortly.

A good amount of unemployment and lack of industry, resulting
in an even greater separation between existing wealth and unable to
gain any wealth - let alone unaffordable house and other "entry-level"
type investments that are the foundation of wealth.

We are no longer the "land of opportunity," and becoming
much like the British "land of (some) entitlement."
No depressions, but I full expect 10% unemployment to be commonpalce,
and 90 either employed by the public, or in low-paying serivce jobs.
All within 20 years.

Once the raised income taxes become the norm again, people like
myself will question if I should even work, or my wife, and income
will actually go down, and the GDP with it, as we return above the
"Point of diminishing returns" of 47%.

Oh, and everyone will have healthcare, and it will *NOT* include what
most people have with their HMOs today, and definitely not the
multi-million dollar procedures that save lives which everyone assumes it will.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile