[wplug] Best mid-life career advice

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 2 20:32:12 EDT 2007

Somewhere in the '80s H-R (stupid Blackberry) departments
really lost their focus, and started requiring credentials that are
completely wack.  An engineering degree is *NOT* remotely
required for sysadmin work, much less do they appreciate an engineering
technology degree, which is actual a more sound program for many.

Worse yet, some just want "any degree" for a technical position.
That's why when I run into people who have such jobs that want such,
I tell them to just go correspondence or whatever they can that is easiest.
Credentials *USED* to be about substance, or better yet, were
properly required or not for a position. Nowdays they are H-R filters.

I don't know how many times I couldn't hire very qualified individuals
because of stupid H-R non-sense. Needless to say, I didn't stay at
those clients very long.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile