[wplug] Best mid-life career advice

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 2 10:11:00 EDT 2007

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 22:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
Pat Barron <pat at tiderium.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2007, G.Pitman wrote:
> > I know very few sys admins who actually have a formal education for their
> > trade, my degree is in Psychology/Criminal Justice :)
>
> Indeed - system administration isn't a discipline that you can effectively
> learn in formal education.  For one thing, the field just changes too darn
> fast.  Practical experience is the key.

It's also good to point that not only does the field chance very
quickly but it always requires good problem skills mixed heavily
with real world experience.  I usually always tell trainees
that just because they can run Solaris, *BSD, Linux, etc. at
home does not automatically mean they can handle system
administration on a professional level.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes