[wplug] Logging - Message repeated XX times

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Oct 30 19:32:47 EST 2007

scoob8000 <scoob8000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting, you got me on the right track.  I never realized
> syslog.conf controled the messages being logged to /var/logs/xxxxx.
>
> I can't find anything documented in any of the man pages as far as
> settings.

AFAICT, the standard Linux syslog will always do "last message
repeated N times" compression, and there's no config option to
disable that.

Apparently, syslog-ng normally does not do such compression, but
might be able to be configured to do so (I didn't find the
documentation very helpful in answering either of these questions,
but you might be more motivated than I to read through it all).

A new challenger seems to be rsyslog, which apparently will be the
default in Fedora 8 <http://lwn.net/Articles/242137/>.  It allows
compression (or not) on a rather fine-grained level.