[wplug] Boot drive work around

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 25 12:56:56 EDT 2007

Michael Semcheski wrote:
> So what I ended up doing was dismantling a USB hard drive, which is
> basically an IDE hard drive and an IDE-USB bridge.  I plugged the CD
> drive into that and was able to boot from the USB-CD device.
>
> My eventual goal is to have it run Windows under QEMU (which is much
> preferred to the other way around.)  I want to have the Windows
> install running on one console, and Gnome on another console.

Seeing as you're thinking of running windows, you're probably not
morally opposed to running proprietary software.  In that case, you'll
probably have a better experience creating a virtual machine using
VMWare server (free as in beer) and then playing it using VMWare player
(free as in beer).  VMWare player has great support for USB devices,
good network support and is pretty darn fast.  It also has a very nice
full screen mode where it can take up the full part of a display in X.
I normally run with dual displays off my laptop and have one display
wiht VMWare Player full screen for windows, and the other display for
whatever I'm doing in Linux.  Works awesome.

Just my $0.02

--Patrick