[wplug] Boot drive work around

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:48:22 EDT 2007

So what I ended up doing was dismantling a USB hard drive, which is
basically an IDE hard drive and an IDE-USB bridge.  I plugged the CD
drive into that and was able to boot from the USB-CD device.

My eventual goal is to have it run Windows under QEMU (which is much
preferred to the other way around.)  I want to have the Windows
install running on one console, and Gnome on another console.

The USB drive I was using when I first tried the install was borrowed,
so I  don't know whether there was a problem with the way I set it up,
or with the key, or with the Thinkpad.  I don't like to have the same
problem twice, so I took the opportunity to order a USB drive of my
own yesterday -- partly for these situations, and partly because I
want to have a 'swiss army' type drive ready for the unexpected.