[wplug] Boot drive work around

Pat Barron pat at tiderium.com
Thu Oct 25 12:15:24 EDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, scoob8000 wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a Thinkpad X41 that I would like to install Fedora on.  The
>> catch is this laptop does not have any built in removable media.
>>
>> I have a 150GB USB drive that I can boot from, but it isn't clear to
>> me what the best way to get an ISO file onto the drive is.  Any ideas?
>
> Will the laptop boot from USB?  I would try the network install
> option.  Otherwise,
> maybe borrow a USB CD-ROM?

Yeah, the X41 should boot from an external USB drive (either hard drive,
or optical).  In theory, I think you could boot Fedora off of an external
USB optical drive, install it on to an external USB hard drive, and then
boot off of that hard drive when you want to run Fedora.

Or you could just do what I do - leave the Thinkpad itself running
Windows, and then run Fedora under it via QEMU.  Though yeah, I know,
that's crufty - but it works, and it was the path of least resistance for
me (especially since I need my Thinkpad to continue to run Windows, for
other reasons...).

--Pat.