[wplug] VOIP recommendation

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Wed Oct 24 15:56:19 EDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 2:37 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Earlier this year, I was involved in a failed experiment with Vonage.
> Lots of dropped calls and (in general) crappy service.

You sure are fussy Bill.  I still have Vonage and am reasonably happy
with it.  Sure - I get some garbled transmissions at times, but for
$15 per month, it sure beats my previous land line provider - which
was over $50.  My primary communication is with a cell phone, but
having the Vonage line keeps my land line phone number, which I have
had for over 30 years.  It is my official contact point for soooo
many things.  That way, I don't get junk calls on my home phone.
Vonage has great voice mail, which I can pick up over here in Japan
with no problem.  Any they have good online call records, billing,
etc.  I think it is a terrific value. I don't know how long they will
keep their price down with lawsuits, taxes and every other wolf
trying to share the fruits of their innovation.

I think the quality of the Vonage service has a lot to do with your
DSL bandwidth.  Maybe your DSL is crappy?  But, I am a happy Vonage
customer.

Greg