[wplug] VOIP recommendation

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:25:38 EDT 2007

I'll add a couple of data points here:

I used Speakeasy.net's VOIP service for one year.  I started off with
a 1.5/384 ADSL setup.  That was inadequate.  I had to bump up to
1.5/768 to have acceptable phone.  I am actually pretty disappointed
with Speakeasy.  It felt like a bait-and-switch.  However, once I was
up to 1.5/768, the quality of service was fine, but expensive.

I'm currently using Comcast and am surprisingly pleased with their
VOIP service.  Their modem / VOIP gateway has a built in UPS, which is
nice.

Regarding your setup, I think you'd  be better off putting the VOIP
device in front of the router.  That way, it can prioritize its
packets over your computer's packets.  To me, this is essential.  If
you want to play with traffic shaping, you might be able to pull off
having the VOIP behind your gateway.