[wplug] Online Backup

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Sat Oct 13 10:19:10 EDT 2007

Neal Sofge wrote:
> I've got a couple of CDs burned on a very expensive early model CD-R
> from 1996.  So far, so good (I'm keeping them around as test articles,
> having long since moved their data to newer media).  These were, of
> course, burned at 1x speed, that being the only choice back then.

Also, the media from that era was of much higher quality than what is
being sold today. I would expect those early CDs to last longer than the
devices you have to read them.

It was when lower cost manufacturing methods were invented that the
longevity changed.

Michael

P.S. I'm also convinced that if you are burning a disc for archival
purposes, you should used the slowest speed that you can.