[wplug] Online Backup

Neal Sofge neal_sofge at rand.org
Fri Oct 12 22:45:43 EDT 2007

I've got a couple of CDs burned on a very expensive early model CD-R
from 1996.  So far, so good (I'm keeping them around as test
articles, having long since moved their data to newer media).  These
were, of course, burned at 1x speed, that being the only choice back
then.

Sunlight screws up burned CDs surprisingly quickly.  But temperature
cycling will also reduce their lifespans, so not only should your
storage be dark and cool, it should be consistently cool.  A storage
box in my air-conditioned office only maintained some CDs for 5 years
before read errors started up, and I'm convinced it's because the
shelf they were on was next to the building's outer wall.

I agree with Bill that your best bet is a pair of hard drives.  I
burned a lot of CDs back when average desktops only came with 1.2 GB
of disk, but they all fit on a single modern FireWire pocket drive.

--
Neal Sofge, Web Technology Analyst
RAND Corporation <http://www.rand.org/>

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.