[wplug] Online Backup

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Oct 12 17:20:47 EDT 2007

Michael Skowvron <michaels at penguincentral.org> wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in participating in a shared storage grid?
>
> By using software from Cleversafe (http://cleversafe.org/), a group of
> us could setup a large, shared pool of storage. The files that are
> copied into the pool are split up and distributed across all the nodes
> in the pool. The grid can survive the loss of several nodes and still
> reconstruct the data.
>
> I think it would be an interesting project to experiment with. But I
> don't think it can be done with fewer than 5 or 6 participants and 11
> would be best. The participants would have to agree to contribute a
> similar amount of storage to the grid and be willing to stay connected
> to the grid continuously.

I have the capacity and I would be interested.  There are two things
holding me back:
1) I can find no information about how the system encrypts my data
   or otherwise ensures my privacy.
2) There's no packages for FreeBSD.  They provide source, so it's
   entirely possible that I could put together a port, but it's not
   guaranteed.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com