[wplug] Online Backup

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Fri Oct 12 17:03:44 EDT 2007

Would anyone be interested in participating in a shared storage grid?

By using software from Cleversafe (http://cleversafe.org/), a group of
us could setup a large, shared pool of storage. The files that are
copied into the pool are split up and distributed across all the nodes
in the pool. The grid can survive the loss of several nodes and still
reconstruct the data.

I think it would be an interesting project to experiment with. But I
don't think it can be done with fewer than 5 or 6 participants and 11
would be best. The participants would have to agree to contribute a
similar amount of storage to the grid and be willing to stay connected
to the grid continuously.

Michael