[wplug] Verizon getting developers attention

Christopher DeMarco demarco at maya.com
Fri Nov 30 13:40:41 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 01:11:30PM -0500, Tim Lesher wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 11:54 AM, Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com> wrote:

> > You spent so much time digging this up for us... why don't you respond
> > to the story @linuxinsider.com?  Better than a comment, why don't you
> > write a quick letter to the appropriate editor, so that hopefully
> > they'll print it?
>
> I don't think in this case that it would accomplish much, because I
> don't think she or the publisher is doing anything wrong.
>
> "One of your regular opinion columnists is employed by an institution
> whose purpose is to have staff writers write opinion pieces with a
> certain slant?"

I didn't say that either the publisher or the columnist had done
anything wrong.  I felt that the message of your post was that grains
of salt should be taken, and that the same message would be
interesting alongside the source article.  That's all.

> Their (correct) response would be "That's why it was published in the
> Opinion section, and why we disclosed who the person works for."

Even better.  Here's yet another -- dissenting -- opinion.  It happens
all the time, e.g. in the "Letters" section of _Wired_ or any local
newspaper.

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com>
Information Technology Supervisor