[wplug] Verizon getting developers attention

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 13:11:30 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 11:54 AM, Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 11:28:53AM -0500, Tim Lesher wrote:
>
> > > http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/60516.html
>
> > But this particular article really isn't about Verizon opening up
> > their network.  PRI's reason for existence, according to their own
> > stated goals and accomplishments, is to "place" articles like this
> > and get them cited.
>
> You spent so much time digging this up for us... why don't you respond
> to the story @linuxinsider.com?  Better than a comment, why don't you
> write a quick letter to the appropriate editor, so that hopefully
> they'll print it?

I don't think in this case that it would accomplish much, because I
don't think she or the publisher is doing anything wrong.

"One of your regular opinion columnists is employed by an institution
whose purpose is to have staff writers write opinion pieces with a
certain slant?"

Their (correct) response would be "That's why it was published in the
Opinion section, and why we disclosed who the person works for."

Besides, it was about 10 minutes of Googling to figure out, without
knowing anything beforehand about the author, the publication, or the
institution.  IMHO, knowing the source is a reasonable level of
"caveat lector" for anyone reading a news aggregator like ECT (who by
the nature of their business trades on the volume, not the depth, of
their stories).

Otherwise, you end up with stuff like this:

http://www.younggogetter.com/2007/11/18/blogoshpere-gone-wild-top-blogs-play-telephone-with-nissan/

Just my "opinion" :-)
--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>