[wplug] Verizon getting developers attention

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 11:28:53 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 10:57 AM, G.Pitman <gpitman at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not specifically linux related but interesting from a developer standpoint.
> http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/60516.html

Hmm.  This really puts Verizon in a positive light!  It says they're
doing truly good things, and AT&T will likely have to match them, and
that "see, you don't have to worry about the telecoms being
anti-competitive!".

Hmm.  The article was written by Sonia Arrison.

Hmm.  She's a "senior fellow in technology studies at the
California-based Pacific Research Institute."

Hmm.  The PRI is a think-tank that promotes free markets and limited government.

Hmm.  The biggest contributors to the PRI (according to their web
site) from the telecoms sector are Verizon and AT&T...

Don't get me wrong--I believe that free-market competition is good,
that what Verizon is doing is surprising and welcome (particularly
given their previous position on the open/closed spectrum), and that
this going to help, rather than hurt the consumer in the end.

But this particular article really isn't about Verizon opening up
their network.  PRI's reason for existence, according to their own
stated goals and accomplishments, is to "place" articles like this and
get them cited.

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>