[wplug] Firefox is too bloated (bookmark insanity)

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:16:06 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 8:13 AM, scoob8000 <scoob8000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2007 1:24 PM, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What do you consider an insane amount of physical ram?
> >
> > I have 256MB and I've seen Firefox eat up 255MB.
>

> Wow!   The worst I've yet seen is here on my work PC, using nearly 180MB
> with multiple tabs open.
>
> Do you have any addon's installed?  I've noticed some seem to eat up the
> memory.  Also if a browser session
> stays open for a long time (days on end) the memory usage begins to grow.
>
> In fact, just now I looked at my work PC.  I'm at 166MB and growing, and
> FF has been open since last Friday.
> Just to test, I restarted FF.  With all the same exact tabs open, I'm down
> to 48MB.

I believe a lot of that particular memory difference is attributable to the
cache of previous page states that FF keeps, to optimize the "back"
feature.  I seem to recall some huge complaints around the 2.0 alpha period
about this, because closing the tabs doesn't necessarily release all the
resources (because of the "undo close tab" feature, I think).

Like most things in software development, it's a tradeoff.  Memory, speed,
and features are the three knobs, but they're always non-orthogonal
controls.

Or, as it's usually stated, small, fast, or cool: pick two. :-)

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>