[wplug] Firefox is too bloated (bookmark insanity)

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 11 18:48:50 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:44:04 -0500
DK <curlynoodle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2007 2:19 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 11, 2007 2:17 AM, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Speaking anecdotally I've observed Firefox to run slower and slower
> > > with each new release! Not only does it eat up insane amounts of
> > > physical memory but I regularly see in htop it spiking my CPU to 100%
> > > utilization. I'm using iceweasel which is a debianized installation of
> > > firefox and I'm seriously thinking about looking for a new browser.
> > > Can anyone recommend a Linux browser which meets the following
> > > requirements:
> > >
> > > * support window tabs
> > > * full CSS2 and earlier support
> > > * good flash support
> > > * conforms to W3C standards as closely as possible
> > > * does not hog the memory or cpu (lighter footprint the better!)
> >
> > Konqueror, as far as I know, fits all of those.  Due to sharing KHTML
> > with Safari, it *should* also support parts of the CSS3 draft (unless
> > some of those patches haven't been merged in yet).  KHTML renders
> > better than Gecko.  Speaking of which...anyone know a GTK+ browser
> > that uses KHTML?
> >
> > --
> > Mackenzie Morgan
>
> I too have experienced memory issues with Firefox on both Linux and
> Windows.  Two adjustments that have helped me...
>
> Open about:config
> Create a new Boolean named "config.trim_on_minimize" and set to True
> Find "browser.cache.memory.enable" and set to False

This definitely reduces memory, at the expense of a little extra
CPU time.  Not much though, and probably an acceptable loss,
depending on what a person is doing.  I'll try runing some kind
of resource intensive application(s) and see if I notice any
difference.  Thanks for the intel!

--
Tom Rhodes