[wplug] is firefox on linux just really slow with animations?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 9 19:31:28 EST 2007

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:35:21 -0500
Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:

> I'm currently prepping a book review for "The Open Pitt" on AJAX fun.  At
> first I thought that the scripts were poor because some of the image
> related scripts were really slow, but then I decided to see how the pages
> looked in IE under VMWare and they pages came up, animated nicely and
> provided a great effect.
>
> So here's my question: are effects such as layer fades and element resizing
> on firefox for linux really slow everywhere, or just on my computer?
>
> So, if you've got a minute visit the following two web sites and do the
> following tests:
>
> http://script.aculo.us/
>
> Do the bubbles on the page pop up nice an quickly, or does it remind you of
> an Apple ][e trying to render the graphics line by line?
>
> http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
>
> Click on Image Set (second row of pictures).  Does the lightbox come up
> smoothly?  Does it resize nicely when you press the arrow keys?
>

> Here's my results:
>               script.aculo.us       lightbox
> IE 7 (win)        smooth             smooth
> Firefox 2 (win)   smooth             smooth
> Safari (win)      smooth             smooth
> Firefox 2 (linux) apple][e           apple][e
> Opera 9 (linux)   apple][gs          apple][gs
> Epiphany (linux)  apple][e           apple][e
> Konqueror (linux) apple][gs          smooth

The bubbles are not as slow as the apple; however, they aren't
super fast and "smooth" either.  The images go great though,
I really dig them.  Unfortunately, I also have some malloc()
and kernel debugging stuff turned on:

%uname -a
FreeBSD localhost.fbsdsecure.org 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Nov  1 22:35:18 EDT 2007     trhodes at localhost.fbsdsecure.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOBILE  i386

--