[wplug] Backup tool?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Nov 8 15:18:28 EST 2007

Sam Al-Droubi wrote:

> Thank you all for the responses.  I looked at BackupPC and Bacula and
> they looked like an enterprise wide solution and time-consuming to
> set up.  The closest think I could find similar to ntbackup on
> Windows is command-line script written with tar.

If you're just looking for something simple to make archive files,
do 'tar cvzf /path/to/backup/file.tar.gz .' while in your home
directory at the command line.

If you just want to copy your files over to the external storage,
(e.g., so you can view them without unpacking an archive), 'cp -a
. /path/to/backup/directory/' while in your home directory will do
the trick.  Note that if the device uses a non-Linux filesystem
(such as FAT32), you will probably lose file owner and permissions
information with 'cp'.