[wplug] Backup tool?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 14:52:34 EST 2007

rsync doesn't, to my knowledge, keep old versions, just keeps it
perfectly sync'd with your drive.  rdiff keeps an original and diff's
of the files as they change.  It's really not hard to set up.  You
write a little one-liner script that tells rsync which directories and
where they should be copied to, then run the script when you want to
backup.  Putting it in /etc/crontab with * in all the day, week, month
columns and 0 in hour and minute will make it run at midnight every
day (what I set up at work over the summer...which required more steps
than it should've because Mac OSX's rsync is broken and doesn't work
with OSX's default filesystem, HFS+).

On Nov 8, 2007 2:06 PM, Sam Al-Droubi <saldroubi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for the responses.  I looked at BackupPC and Bacula and they
> looked like an enterprise wide solution and time-consuming to set up.  The
> closest think I could find similar to ntbackup on Windows is command-line
> script written with tar.
>
> I am just looking to a backup my desktop to a nfs or a usb drive.  I don't
> know how easy it is to setup rsync and if it does keep older versions of the
> files.   Any comments?
>
> Thank you.
>

> Sam Al-Droubi wrote:
>
>  I am relatively new to Linux.  I am using Opensuse 10.3. I am looking for a
> simple and easy backup tool to use for backing up my personal files.  I want
> to backup my files to a USB hard drive or network drive (nfs).  On Windows
> XP, I used to use ntbackup.  Is there a similar tool on Linux to use?
>
>  Thank you.
>

>  Sincerely,
>  Sam Al-Droubi, M.S.
>  saldroubi at yahoo.com ________________________________