[wplug] Thinkpad nvram / tpb -d

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun May 27 14:27:20 EDT 2007

"Michael H. Semcheski" <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the source for each of them, got them to compile, everything
> worked.  As long as I run tpb as root, because it needs to access
> /dev/nvram.  /dev/nvram was root:root rw-rw----.  I changed it to root:users
> (I'm a member of users), but tpb still fails saying it can't access
> /dev/nvram.

It looks like recent versions of Scientific Linux use udev.  I'm
not sure that changing permissions on a device node will stick if
you do it the "normal" way.  I think you have to fiddle with
entries in the /etc/udev/permissions.d/ directory.  Try the docs
for udev(8) for more.  (Sorry I can't help more, but I haven't
really had a need to fool around with these things since the days
of a static /dev.)