[wplug] OpenVZ vs Xen

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 14 23:24:37 EDT 2007

This is blatently stolen off slashdot, but is relevant to a discussion
at the installfest this last weekend.

Basically, we were discussing the performance issues related
virtualization and different technologies.  Typically we think of most
of the performance hit coming from disk access issues, but anytime there
are ring 0 instructions you take a performance hit.  The general
consensus is that systems like FreeBSD's jails were the best -- in
theory OpenVZ should be similar.  However, as a disadvantage, they're
not as easy to move as VMWare virtual machines, which you can just tar
up and move.

Anyway, HP did a performance comparison between Xen and OpenVZ.  No
surprise to people who have used Xen, it got trounced.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2007/HPL-2007-59.pdf

Hope this helps for Mike and other folks in the discussion.

--Patrick