[wplug] Restricting screen boundaries absolutely for apps in X?

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:57:10 EST 2007

This is a bit frustrating, I noticed in X (XFree86  7.1.0-15 and X.Org
6.9.0.dfsg.1-6) often windows will open up such that they fall off the
screen. I run GNOME and FVWM95 but have noticed this problem in other
window managers running with and without GNOME so I think it's an X
server issue. Sometimes it happens when I start up an application but
more often it is when a dialog box opens for an existing application
(like Save As in Firefox or certain times in GAIM), this is very
annoying and I don't know of any X utility to grab and move a window
(tried xmove but that is totally different), however ideally I want no
application to be able to fall off the screen in its' window
dimensions. I want it to dynamically resize before opening to within
1024x768 (screen res) if it was going to open up with a dimension out
of bounds and I want the x,y position of any dialog box to be within
my 1024x768 bounding box. Any help would be really appreciated as this
has vexed me for months.

Zach