[wplug] Circuit City

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 18:56:16 EST 2007

On 3/29/07, O'Connor, Michael P. <mpoconnor at switch.com> wrote:

> I will admit at this time I am not for it nor am I against it -- I am at
> the point of, stand back see what happens then make a judgment.

Stand bank and see? So the millions of manufacturing and professional
jobs (especially in so-called knowledge worker fields) that we've
already lost is not indicative? ;-) I don't think this is a new issue
where the jury is still out on negative effects. Who is the prime
beneficiary of outsourcing? Is it US workers? Certainly not? Is it the
US consumer? Perhaps but if you weigh the lower costs of goods versus
the loss in jobs it really doesn't help one's purchasing power if they
can't find a decent job that at the very least provides for the
minimal cost of living (basic rent, basic food, transportation,
uitilities, taxes, etc.) The ones who are really reaping the benefits
of all this outsourcing is corporations and those who own significant
shares of their stock if it's a publicly traded company. The trend in
business is not just to be profitable at the end of the fiscal year.
It's to have increasing profitability, increasing revenue and lower
costs in every QUARTER. Greed rules the day. It's no fluke that the
income gap between the richest and poorest in this country is at
record level and the middle class is being diluted and in many ways
being priced out of the American dream. Look at the buying power of
the US dollar today compared to just 20 years ago. Every basic cost of
living just about is increasing at multiples of the inflation rate,
yet wages for most remain stagnant, the cost of university and health
care is increasibly prohibitive, which energy costs skyrocketing this
disproportionately affects those in the lower income sector. So yes I
do not see the average worker let alone the poor profiting much from
outsourcing in a global sense.

Zach