[wplug] VPN Appliance

DK curlynoodle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:18:00 EST 2007

Hello All:

I am proposing a VPN system for a customer.  Even considering the potential cost
savings, a custom "home-brewed" Linux server is not acceptable, as the system
will be supported by Microsoft-oriented engineers (not IT).  My customer
suggested using Microsoft VPN on one of their Win2003 servers.  I would like to
stay clear of this method, as it would likely be subject to political agendas
within my customer's IT department.

So, I am considering using a VPN appliance.

I have begun to look at the typical big name vendors, i.e. Cisco, SonicWall,
MultiTech, etc.

Technically, my requirements are as follow:

- Support for at least five (5) remote clients
- Excellent logging capabilities
- Optional support for at least one (1) gateway-to-gateway connection
- Option for RADIUS authentication

Commercially, my requirements are:

- World-wide, localized tech support including next-day replacement
- Up to $1000, tech support contract could be purchased separate

Does anyone have experience which they would willing to share, or even opinions
on some possible devices or other options?

Thanks much,
Dave