[wplug] NAS advice

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 07:09:54 EST 2007

On 3/22/07, DK <curlynoodle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/22/07, Shane Liesegang <shane at shaneliesegang.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering if anybody on the list had any experiences (good or bad)
> > that they'd like to share regarding NAS devices. I've seen good reviews
> for
> > both the Buffalo and Infrant lines, but not a lot of details.
> >
> > Is it possible, for example, to set up one pair of drives as a RAID 1
> and
> > have the others as separate drives (or a RAID 0) and then mount them
> > individually? I would envision getting a terabyte system, using half of
> it
> > for rsync-driven backup and the other half as a media server for the
> house.
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Awhile back, I setup FreeNAS, http://www.freenas.org, in a virtual
> machine to try-out.  It was very easy to install, and the webUI was
> comparable to other hardware NAS devices I have used.  One may now
> download a VM from the website to use with VMWare Player if you don't
> have Workstation.
>
> FreeNAS is still beta software, so it is not recommened for production
> use.  Just keep that in mind.  Currently, it only support software
> RAID.  Its based on FreeBSD, not Linux, so I really know little of the
> nuts & bolts.
>
> Dave

I have always had good luck with Iomega.  I believe you are somewhat limited
in your RAID configs, ie. you can have two, but I have never really tried.
I have always configured them with RAID 5.

Chris

--
"They that would trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin